In 2009 Encounter Kaikoura formed a charitable trust and named it the Encounter Foundation.
The objective of the Foundation is to support or initiate projects that primarily enhance the natural environment, both locally and further afield. The funds are accumulated by gifting a percentage of each of our customers fare to the trust and since its inception a total in excess of $270,000 has been donated to a range of projects and programmes.
Thanks to all our customers for making this possible and indirectly helping us to achieve this valuable contribution to the future sustainability of our precious natural environment.
Purpose and Aims
The purposes and aims of the Foundation are to devote or apply both capital and income of the Trust Fund to or for any charitable purposes which are from time to time selected by the Trustees and are valid charitable purposes. Without limiting this in any way, such purposes may also include the following.
- Initiating and supporting projects which have the purpose of enhancing, preserving or restoring the natural environment
- Supporting other charitable organisations and agencies in activities such as tree planting, beautification projects and other such worthy causes for the benefit of the local community
- Supporting initiatives, such as pest control, which encourage restoration of native flora and fauna
- Maintaining and building walkways and tracks
- Supporting restoration work around lakes and waterways
- Supporting other charitable organisations and agencies in activities and projects related to the marine environment.